Locations of visitors to this page Underwood Family Adoption: Waiting...Still Waiting

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Waiting...Still Waiting

Thanks to all of you for you many prayers and posts. Last week was long, and Friday was just awful. It was simply one of those days when everything went wrong. I have to laugh now about the medical exam we tried to get done. The normal doctors that our facilitators use where away at a conference (these doctors are ok with bending the rules a little). So George talked to the other doctor and he refused to do the exam without the passport- this is the legal procedure. The US Embassy requires this exam, and it can only be done at this one office run by foreigners. What are the chances- I get stuck with the one honest person in Ukraine!! (Not really- I am sure there at least 4 more- ha!ha!)

Chris and I got home around 8:30 Friday night, and I was exhausted in every way. To be so close and get delayed again. I cried, and Chris kept saying, "it's ok, Mom." My breakdown only lasted a couple of minutes, and then Chris started talking. Literally for hours. He told me so many things he remembers about growing up. His grandfather, a girl in the hospital who introduced him to pineapple, his first grade teacher, his roomate Yuri that he's known since he was 7, and all the Bible stories that he knows. I was in amazement. So I finally said "spot" (sleep) at midnight. What a precious memory!

Yesterday we had a blizzard here. We did as little as possible. We went to the grocery store, got pizza for lunch, and planned to go to a movie. Katia and Lena ended up taking Chris to the movie without me. They wanted to see an alien movie, which I normally would never let my children see. But I was desperate for a little "alone time". I started reading the Grisham novel Mark and Jenn Smith brought me (they arrived on Thursday to adopt 5 kids). It was a much needed break. It is exhausting being the only parent to a new child- 24/7. It's a lot like having a newborn, except he can say "no" and doesn't sleep 18-20 hours a day! The highlight of my day was when he said for the first time ever- "Mom, you help me please?" This may seem trivial if you've never adopted an older child, but it is huge. This means he is really beginning to trust and admit that he needs help- difficult for such an independent boy.

Please continue praying. I certainly feel all your prayers. I miss everyone and can't wait to see you all.

Love,
Paula

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing what a few hours of peace and quiet can bring. Still praying for you, Chris, and everyone here at home.

Debra said...

I am glad you had some time to be refreshed and renewed ! Hang in there....we are still praying for that passport to appear and you and Chris to be in flight on Thursday........the Hoosiers

What we are about... said...

Hey Paula,
we are praying for you all and hoping that you are home soon. I saw the pics of Chris on the Smith's blog and he is just beaming with joy!!! His picture is so different from the first one! It is obvious that he is lvoing his new mama! Prayers and love from all of us - Jan W

Joy said...

continuing to pray for you...
Joy