Locations of visitors to this page Underwood Family Adoption: It's a Boy!

Saturday, January 12, 2008

It's a Boy!

I want to say in advance that I am sorry this is so long. I've been trying to post for 3 days, and I always get cut off. SO here goes....

As I sit here to post this, I am again reminded of how much my Heavenly Father longs to care for me and bless me. God intervened with travel plans so He could give us an extra day together, which we all needed. We were able to have a relaxing evening on Wed. night alone with our family. We watched a movie, did a big puzzle, and just enjoyed our last night together for a while. Then on Thursday morning, it was very calm and uneventful as we all prepared to leave our apartment- the total opposite of Wed. morning. Ande and the kids headed to the airport, and I moved into my new home for the last leg of the journey. I am staying in a flat situated in the top floor of the Nazarene church. It is not quite as nice as our other flat, but it is safer (24-hour guard) and more convenient to everything I need. And I don't have to hike up that enormous hill!

I visited Chris at the orphanage on Thursday. He was "ploha" because all the kids are still away for holidays (only 4 stayed). I came with McDonalds, and that always makes things better. He will be shocked when we get to America to find that we never go to McD's. I was suprised to see my facilitator, George, on the bus. He had come to take Chris to get photos made. Perfect timing! George, Katia (who insisted on going with me b'c she thinks i still can't find the orphanage myself after 7 1/2 weeks- so sweet!), Chris and I headed out for pics. Katia and I also took Chris to the supermarket for snacks. They are only getting kasha (like cream of wheat) and chai (hot tea) each meal during the holidays. He hates it!

I have to admit that I was really tired and not in the mood to be out in the cold again, but my heart melted when I saw his sweet, smiling face, and made it all worth it! He held my hand the whole time we were out. He laid his head on my should on the bus. I am so ready to get him home!

Friday I met George at 7:45 am to get the court decree. This is the earliest I have been out in almost 2 months. Ukraine doesn't usually do early, and the guard at my flat was quick to tell me that it was too early to go out at 7 a.m. I couldn't agree more!

George and I finally got the decree, but only 2 copies. The judge did not want to sign the 8 copies that we need to complete the adoption. And since they only work on Wed. and Frid., we'll get the copies next week. It's interesting, too- all the other districts opened on Jan. 9, but this district just returned to work today. I'll spare you all the gruesome details- the inefficiency of this government is astounding- but 5 hours later, walking at least a mile in the cold, visiting 6 different offices, and George tells me we're done with this part. I think this means that Chris is officially our son! Hallelujah!

Tomorrow (Saturday, which is actually today since I couldn't get the internet working last night) I still have to go and get a new birth certificate (I got it!) Next week is going to be very busy, and I really am a bit overwhelmed. I still have to get a country code (like Social Security number) on Monday before I can get Chris out of the orphanage. Please continue praying for all these steps to be successful. It seems that everyone is mad about having to come back to work after the holidays, so we're having to bribe everyone! Chris is dying to get out of the orphanage, so I don't want it to be delayed.

Love you all and miss you so much,
Paula

4 comments:

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

:) Paula... thinking of you and praying for you... so glad that you are doing well and are safe and sound in a secure place! Got HSM 1&2 as requested on our last (ha ha) trip to WalMart & those pretty white shoes are already in a bag packed and ready for you to share with Katia :) You are very thoughtful! Package from Ande not here yet, but I figure it will be by late afternoon here and we will bring all that to you too. ;)
YOU ARE ALMOST HOME... & we are almost there!
Blessings,
The Smiths ~ Here and There
Hey PS... do you know where O&O went for Holiday??? PM me if you do find out! Thanks!!!

Amy said...

I hate the thought of your being there "alone" but I know God is taking care of you. I'm glad about your good news. Hopefully you both will be home soon. :)

Judge said...

Hi Paula...It's good to know that Ande & kids are home and that all is well with you and Chris. God is good all the time!! We are all OK. Everyone says "hello". Heather & Sophia fly back to SLC tomorrow. Got a new camera for Cmas. Can't wait to try it out on all of you very soon. We will continue to pray as God works everthing in the coming week.We miss you and love you very much. Love & Prayers, Mom & Dad

Ethel said...

Paula,
I am so glad Ande and the kids are home - maybe we will see them tomorrow at Master's! We are praying for your safe return with your new son! Congratulations!