Locations of visitors to this page Underwood Family Adoption: I Have Chris!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Have Chris!

I am so glad to say that Chris is now with me. George called me yesterday around 1:00 p.m. and said, "The director says we will go today at 4 p.m." I could hardly believe it. I had to race back to my flat and get the presents ready for all of his teachers, caregivers, etc. I had planned on doing this later that evening. I also wanted to clean up the apartment a little and get everything just perfect. Oh, well! Here I was headed to the orphanage with my purse, a backpack, a suitcase and flowers for the director. I'm sure I was quite a sight to all those on the metro and the bus.

Chris called me about 10 times between 3 and 4 p.m. to make sure I didn't forget. How could I forget-- I 've been here for 2 months waiting for this very moment! He was so excited.

George and the inspector met me at the orphanage. George had told me that the director agreed to the meeting because she was already seeing another family at 4 to give them their son. I thought this was strange because I have not seen any other familes visiting. It turned out that it was one of the boys who came this summer- Dima Y. He was adopted by a Ukrainian family here in Kiev. He was very happy. It was so great to meet the parents and know that this sweet kid will have a family. He is 15, so this is very unusual. Many of you remember Dima from this summer, and he said to tell everyone hello.

The director only spent maybe 10 minutes with this family, so I expected our meeting to be short as well. It was not- we talked for over 2 hours, until the inspector said she must be leaving. I know Chris was thinking, "will this ever end?", but it was really amazing to me to see the change in this visit and my first meeting with the director 2 years ago. She said she really loved our family and was very happy for Chris. She became very emotional. It was a surreal moment for me. I know that God has used so many families from Birmingham to touch the director's heart, and I continue to pray that she will come to know him personally one day.

We left the orphanage and headed to our flat. Chris said he had cried a little when he told his caregiver, Svetlana, goodbye. She has the closest thing he has had to a mother. She is a wonderful woman. Chris was very happy and was excited to see the new flat.

After dropping off his things, we went to eat pizza. We came back and did a 250 piece puzzle until 11 p.m., then played checkers, and then I finally said it was time for bed. I only wish Ande and the kids had been with me. It was really special! I know I will always treasure this memory.

Chris is sitting here with me at the internet cafe, sighing. He's bored. So I'll go for now.

Love you all and thanks for the prayers,
Paula

9 comments:

Joy said...

Oh, PRAISE THE LORD!!!
I am so excited for all of you. I remember when you all began this journey - it is wonderful to see this prayer answered.
Have a great day with your newest son!
Joy

Suzette said...

Paula, We are so excited for you! This day has been a long time coming! Can't wait to see you both in Alabama.
Suzette

Debra said...

YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now to just get the two of you on American soil :)!

It was great to see your kids yesterday at Master's but you sure were missed. We can't wait for you to be back. Much love and prayers....the Hoosiers

Amy said...

Congratulations. What an amazing journey, and I feel blessed to be able to share a tiny bit of it with you.

The Hennesy Family: Trace, Stacie, Lauren, Ryan, Megan, and Kaitlyn said...

It was wonderful to hear your voice when we talked this morning (evening for you!).
I finally made myself look at your blog today when I realized that it really couldn't make me miss the kids there anymore than I already do!! And I am so glad that I did as I would not have wanted to miss all the exciting news (and Ande's interesting anecdotes!). We are all very anxious to see you and Chris next week!!
If I may ask another favor besides checking with Kolya on Ryan's pictures (or anything else he left behind), we still have not received Ryan's apostilled birth certificate from Sveta and we are thinking that we may need that someday. If you hear anything on this from her or George, we would love an update.
Love to you and Chris (and big hugs and kisses to all the boys at 21!!!) - Stacie

Unknown said...

Praising God with you!!!

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

That is an awesome post! We can't wait to see you guys!

The Smiths Here and There... :)

Beth said...

What wonderful news! I am so thankful to God and happy for you! We are praying for a safe return for you and Chris. Can't wait to see you! It was good to have Lily back at MAFA Monday!

Jennifer said...

wow wow wow!!