Locations of visitors to this page Underwood Family Adoption: Could be a Charlie Brown Christmas

Friday, December 21, 2007

Could be a Charlie Brown Christmas

Since Christmas in Kiev is inevitable, we decided to get a Christmas tree and open a few presents on Christmas morning. Some trees cost as much as 10,000 grivnas ($2000 US) at some of the shops near our flat.

This evening, Anderson and I ventured out to see if we could get a smaller tree for our budget. We went to the store where we buy groceries (about 2 metro stops away) because I noticed earlier this week that artificial trees were less expensive. I found the tree that we needed and it was fully decorated! I got it up to the cashier; would you believe I was the only one in the store buying a Christmas tree? It became evident that the price tag on the top of the tree reflected the price of the tree only. In my angst, I had the cashier and the soccer mom behind me (and a couple of other shoppers) help me remove the ornaments, etc. from Charlie Brown's tree. I decided to keep the decorative ball ornaments, but the hideous red and white garland had to go. Undoubtedly, the roll-tide garland had much to do with why the tree was still available on the 21st of December.

We left the store and headed to the metro station to get home. The escalator ride is 2 minutes up and down. The looks I got carrying a Christmas tree as I rode down the escalator were priceless. The one phrase to sum them up might be "The village has found their idiot." We boarded the train with the tree and we got smiles from some and stares from others. It was somewhat like a Yuletide "Weekend at Bernie's." [The last time I felt this odd on public transportation was 1992, in Kazakhstan. This guy got on the bus carrying the head of a cow that he bought at the open market (it was the last one). He sat down next to me as if he were carrying a bag of chips.] ANYWAY, when we got off the metro, I carried the tree just like I used to carry the Christian flag at VBS as a kid. I wanted to sing "Deck the Halls" at the top of my lungs, but frankly I was getting a bit too tired. I considered "Oh Tannenbaum," but those were the only 2 words of the song that came to mind.

When we arrived at the flat, Lily was ecstatic. Noah was unimpressed. We will see if Paula can work her magic on decorating it tomorrow.

Leave the light on for us.

Ande

4 comments:

terri garver said...

Hey everyone,
Last night at 10:45 pm the Kemps came home. Kevin and Katie are just adorable. These two are so special to my heart because of their long time friendship with Avraam and because I have prayed for them since I met Avraam, to find a family and God answered and now they are home. I talked with Kim this morning and she said it was Christmas morning there last night. The kids went to every part of the house looking and were so amazed that you can actually step on the trash can and the lid pops up. They got to bed about 1:oo and were up at 6:00 am full steam ahead.

Will you have a white Christmas? What a once in a life time experience if you do, considering the odds are against us ever having one here!

Paula feel better and we wish you a very Merry Christmas!

Love-The Garver's

Chris and Vickie Nichols said...

Hey guys-
Yes...tree on the metro...I am loving it. Think of the memory bank circuits that will never be erased from what you guys are experiencing there. I am thinking that Kiev will never be the same either. After Kole wakes up I plan on reading your latest couple of posts to him- he will just look at me in disbelief.
Keepin on praying for you.
Chris and Vickie

Dedy Werk said...

Underwood family, We wish you a very Merry Christmas. It will be one that you will always remember that's for sure. Remember just like in Charlie Brown Christmas it is not the things that make Christmas but Jesus and nothing can change that even being away from home. We all miss you and look forward to getting together when you get home. Love The Werk family

Hall family said...

The entire Hall family and Ukrainian girls wish you a very merry Christmas and we can't wait to greet you back home. For now, we know it is such a blessing for the graduates to have you close by and know that someone cares. Makes us want to pick up and move there just to help them and be there for them. May God continue to use each of you in amazing ways for His glory. Love, Randy, Val and kiddos