Locations of visitors to this page Underwood Family Adoption: The Full Monty

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Full Monty

Today we really began the experience of living life in Ukraine. I began by coming to post on the blog followed by a trip to the market, where speaking a little bit of Russian can only do you a little bit of good. Nonetheless, the caveman here was able to drag home the daily rations.

I later went to buy a cell phone from the Kievstar store. Being in sales, I am still entertained by people in the stores here who seem generally bothered when you come in to buy something. We got out of there now able to communicate with someone- the phone in our flat was not working.

We called Stacy Hennesy and arranged to meet her at the orphanage. Yes, we had no permission from anyone official at the orphanage and yes, we decided to take our chances (I am trying to sound like Zhenya here). On the way to the metro, we hit the local McDonald's, where I was recognized as Superdad.

We got out at the Nivky station to catch the 719 bus to the orphanage. It was here the our family thought we would freeze to death. Lily kept her blood flowing by picking up snow every 4 steps. When we finally followed the right crowd standing underneath the right sign with 719 on it, we boarded the 719. I wish someone had told me that Guiness would be on hand to capture our attempt to break the world record for most people on a bus, I would have worn a different shirt. I looked at the sign on the front of the bus and saw that it was 1.25 grivna per person. I gave the driver 6.25 and he handed me 1.25 back and said nothing. I thought that I was getting the Guiness participant discount so I went back to, you guessed it, the VERY back of the bus. As soon as I sat down, the driver began screaming "molodoy chilavek" and what sounded like @#%$*& in Russian. I knew that he was talking to me, but had no idea what he was saying, so I decided to blend in with the environment by sitting like a bump on a log. Unphased, he kept on. Finally, a lady said "pyat grivna." So I sent him 5 more grivnas and the lashing stopped.

When we finally did get to the orphanage, about 6:15, Andrey was there waiting in the lobby. He was so glad to see us all and we exchanged the usual pleasantries. All of the boys from last summer came in and we hung out for about 2 hours. We took crazy pictures and watched little Yuri (from 2 summers ago) do amazing gymnastics in foyer hallway. We had a great time seeing what the boys do when the director is on vacation. Andrey's caretaker came out and told us what a good boy he was and that she really would miss him. She told us we could take him out tomorrow.

We finally left and made it home from our first real day in Ukraine. Scarred but smarter, we had a great time and vowed to do it again the next day. Thanks so much for all the prayers. It is amazing to be a part of all of this and we feel so privileged to be a part of "religion that God sees as pure and faultless."

I will get the phone number posted once I reload minutes and can get it off of the phone.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a wild beginning! I'm loving reading this adventures, and praying that each day gets smoother for ya'll. So glad you had some time with Andrey too!

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

Lily had the right idea :) enjoy it all the way! We can see each step with your word pictures! Looking forward to your posts!:) Praying for you guys!

The Smiths ;) Here and There!

Suzette said...

Thinking of you often and wishing I was there! Continue to enjoy your time. And may the Lord make the path smnooth before you.

Suzette

"Chewy" Shane Roberts said...

I am so excited for ya'll! I know this is awesome. I look forward to reading about it and hearing about it soon!

Brockfamily said...

hello! it is katelyn. its sounds like you guys are having a great time!! i was wonderig if you could tell little yuri from 2 years ago i said hello. i have not gottn to talk to him in a long time! tell him he can still write me letters! he might need some help help remembering who i am though! haha. thanks so much! i know you are having so much fun and i am praying for you guys the whole way! much love from alabama!

gary bullock said...

molodoy chilavek! I think that's russian for "what up, dog?!" And not the good version. (it really is a beautiful language, reminds me of klingon.)
I'm praying for you guys. I was going to fast, but then Mich brought home Chik-fil-a and I didn't want to let the cows down. (eat mor chikn) I did fast between breakfast and lunch. maybe you'd have that 9th bag if I was more disciplined. don't tell Nasser.

What we are about... said...

Hey Underwood family,

Hope everyone is doing great and hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving. I am having a little trouble getting through with any comments but just know that we are praying for you guys so much and we love you all and hope you get home really soon. Gobble, gobble and Happy Thanksgiving... Jan Williams